Thursday, February 19, 2009

Frugality

With all the talk about the credit crisis and money getting tighter I've been contemplating the concept of frugality. Obviously dropping our family down to one (albeit generous) income while I contemplate my next career steps has something to do with it too!

Anyway while it has been a while since I posted ideas for what I'd like on the new site have been perculoting away inspired by much that is going on around me. For instance when I was in internet silence at Arthur's Pass over early January I darned my socks. They are particularly lovely soft pink angora blend ones and they had developed annoying little holes on the toe - I noticed my mother had left some of her fine wool up there which was almost a perfect colour match so I decided to see how much of that heritage skill was left to me.

Now darning is not one of the things I would normally recommend as it is an incredibly fiddly, somewhat thankless task. But I must admit as I salvadged my quite expensive socks it crossed my mind that there was certainly a time and a place for the task - for instance Jon's wool school socks. I think that is the trick of it - choosing what it makes sense to darn rather than darning for it's own sake. Anyway it has inspired me to consider searching the web for good sock darning instructions that can be linked to from Wise Woman. And believe it or not it also inspired me to have a go at knitting a sock which is probably a story for another day.

No comments: